Blend makes the process of getting a loan simpler, faster, and safer. With its digital lending platform, Blend helps financial institutions including Wells Fargo and U.S. Bank increase productivity and deliver exceptional customer experiences. The company processes nearly $2 billion in loans daily, helping millions of consumers gain access to the capital they need to lead better lives.
Blend is looking for someone to join our Legal & Compliance team who’s motivated to solve hard problems—the more complex the better. As Lead Commercial and IP Counsel, you will report directly to the Head of Legal and Compliance and lead our commercial team as they negotiate complex commercial agreements, and advise internal clients on the various legal risks and business strategies. Your leadership, advice, and creativity will make an immediate impact by helping drive Blend’s legal and technology strategy. This role is a phenomenal opportunity to be part of a growing team and work on cutting edge issues in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
Blend’s Legal & Compliance team is responsible for navigating a fintech company with broad market impact through an evolving and complex financial legal and regulatory environment. We enable our industry partners to continuously refine, build, and transact on our innovative business-to-business SaaS platform and other groundbreaking technology initiatives.
How you'll contribute:
- Lead and manage a best-in-class commercial team
- Draft and negotiate a variety of commercial contracts, including SAAS, marketing, partnership, and vendor agreements
- Work cross-functionally with Product, Engineering and Business Development and Security teams, and members of the Blend Leadership Team to proactively identify and mitigate upcoming risks, including those related to intellectual property, privacy, and data security
- Manage risk and ensure business and compliance requirements are accurately reflected in agreements
- Continuously improve standard form agreements and work with internal business partners to develop, implement, and iterate policies and procedures as Blend scales
- Remain up-to-date on relevant industry, consumer protection, advertising, IP, and privacy laws and regulations to ensure an ongoing ability to provide sound legal advice
Who you are:
- 6+ years of legal experience (including technology transactions experience contracts) at either a large firm or in-house legal department (in-house experience at a fintech or enterprise SaaS company is a plus)·
- Strong track record negotiating a range of complex commercial agreements, including sales, IP licensing, vendor, partnerships, and marketing
- Significant experience relating to SaaS centric issues that include privacy and security
- Experience advising clients on and managing numerous deals on tight deadlines
- Team oriented with the ability to anticipate and mitigate friction points
- Excellent drafting, negotiation, communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience hiring and managing lawyers and contract specialists
- Experience effectively collaborating with business and other cross functional teams to ensure business needs are met
- JD, Member of a state bar
Nice to haves:
- Experience negotiating complex software license and related agreements with major enterprise customers
- In-house experience at a major cloud technology vendor or fintech company
- Meaningful experience in the consumer finance/mortgage space