Blend helps lenders maximize their digital agility. Our digital lending platform is used by Wells Fargo, U.S. Bank, and other leading financial institutions to increase customer acquisition, improve productivity, and accelerate the delivery of any banking product across every channel. We process more than $3.5 billion in mortgages and consumer loans daily, helping millions of consumers get into homes and gain access to the capital they need to lead better lives.
Blend is looking for an experienced and strategic employment lawyer to join our dynamic Legal team. As our first in-house Employment Counsel, you will bring deep expertise in employment law and will be the point person for managing and advising on complex employment matters across the company. Your advice and creativity will make an immediate impact by helping design and update scalable employment programs, policies and practices for a fast-growing company. This role is a phenomenal opportunity to be part of a growing team and work on cutting edge issues in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
Blend’s Legal & Compliance team is responsible for navigating Blend's broad market impact through an evolving and complex financial, legal, and regulatory environment. We enable our industry partners to continuously refine, build, and transact on our innovative business-to-business SaaS platform and other groundbreaking technology initiatives.
How you’ll contribute:
- Provide advice and counseling on a broad spectrum of employment law issues, including workplace policies and procedures, classifications, leaves of absence, accommodations, performance management, recruitment, employee training, immigration, compensation and benefits, employee relations and investigations
- Draft and maintain policies and procedures for employment matters, including the Employee Handbook and Code of Conduct
- Advise on employment-related agreements, including agreements relating to offers of employment, separation and recruiting
- Contribute to diversity and inclusion programs, employee resource groups, employee privacy, employee communications and employee events
- Lead M&A employment and benefits matters, including diligence, offer documents and integration activities
- Efficiently leverage and manage outside employment counsel where necessary
- Provide support on a variety of non-employment topics depending your background and interest, for example, litigation and commercial contracts
Who you are:
- 7+ years of relevant employment experience in in-house legal departments, law firms, and/or governmental agencies
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and influencing skills
- Highly disciplined, able to make independent decisions and work with limited supervision while excelling in a fast-paced, dynamic and demanding environment
- Inquisitive, engaged and proactive in identifying legal issues and risks and proposing creative and effective solutions
- Able to anticipate and mitigate friction points and take the initiative to promptly resolve and learn from challenges
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present sophisticated issues in a clear and persuasive manner
- Engaged and self-motivated team player eager to learn and pitch in wherever necessary
- Experience relating to executive compensation
- Experience relating sales commissions plans
- In-house experience at a SaaS or fintech company
Benefits and Perks:
- Meaningful equity and a 401(k) plan
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Sponsored gym memberships, ClassPass credits, or wellness stipend.
- Lunch, dinner, snacks, and Pizza Fridays
- On-site meditation, yoga, and massages
- Flexible work schedule, with open vacation policy
- 4 months of paid parental or personal leave
- Convenient location, with parking programs, and flexible commuter options